Day 15 - Singapore

Today was to be my touristy day. Although Amy had the day off work, she had a number of work-related jobs to do so I planned out an itinerary that would see my walk half of the city.

First stop was Marina Bay Sands Resort. You might have seen the pictures and news articles about this glitzy new resort, reportedly the most expensive in the world. Most famous is the pool that spans the length of the roof, and has the illusion of being right on the edge of the building. For $20, I was allowed to go up to the observation deck on the roof. This was an awesome 360 degree view of Singapore, from the Singapore flyer to the F1 track and the ports in the distance. I was also given access to 'view' the amazing pool - as only hotel guests are allowed access to it, we were kept at about a 5 metre distance. There were a number of Youth Olympic Games athletes up there, and Tom Daley (world champion diver from Britain) was giving an interview, so I had a star-sighting!!
On the opposite side of the road, still part of the Marina Bay Sands complex, a world class shopping mall is still being completed. Some of the shops were open, and when this is complete it will be the BEST shopping mall in the world. Every label you could think of was there - they even had a Herve Leger store (the designer famous for his bandage dresses). One thing I couldn't believe was a display in a jewellery store. An amazing necklace, dripping with diamonds, was on display - including the price tag! The cost? Yours for a lazy 29.7 million dollars! I had to count backwards with all the 0s to work out the price .... Australia doesn't even display prices once it's over about $5,000! The complex will also be including a 'canal', much like the Venetian in Las Vegas, so shoppers can float around the centre. Truly spell-binding!

Dragging myself away from the stores, I walked past the Singapore Flyer (looking very sad now that the Marina Bay Sands observation deck is open) and through the hub of the Youth Olympic Games, including the torch. Next door was the Esplanade, an area on the water with lots of public art. My favourite was two pieces that read 'In Case of Emergency' - 'Break Dance'! A little further on was the Merlion, an infamous status in Singapore with water gushing out of the Merlion (a mix between a dish and a lion?)'s mouth. This point also allowed for some good photos of the Marina Bay Sands in the distance, so I asked a fellow tourist to snap some photos of me.

It was now about 12:30 and the sun was shining brightly, so I felt it time for lunch. Since I am totally addicted to kaya French toast, there was no decision in what I would have. 2 pieces and an iced milo later, I was back on the tourist trail ... or was I? At this point I had given up following my itinerary and just wandered through the CBD, taking in the sights. Even the different cafes and restaurants adorning the streets were exciting me! My route took my through Chinatown, where Amy and I had walked on Sunday night, and then up to Clarke Quay, a funky and colourful area by the water. Next to Clarke Quay was Fort Canning, a large green hill with (surprise surprise) a fort in the centre. At this point it was extremely humid and stifling - and some guy had chosen the hottest part of the day to go for a run!

I realised at this point I was close Orchard Road, so I decided I might as well cover the whole city and walked the length of the street. Here I found a bread store that sold thick, cafe style bread. Instead of buying a crappy 'Tip-Top' style loaf, you can buy a mini loaf of 4 pieces of the thick cafe style toast, so I purchased it for breakfast the next morning. I don't think I ever want to leave all of the bread in Singapore! After this I introduced myself to Forever 21, a cheap clothes store, and picked up a nice summery dress (blue and white stripes, surprise surprise!). At this point, the rain started bucketing down. With a taxi queue a mile long, I MRTed it back to Tiong Bahru, which wasn't as painful as I expected.

In the evening I had a 'date' with Owen at the Night Safari. As Amy had been several times before, Owen and I headed out after a quick dinner at Mosburger, a Japanese fast food restaurant. (I had a burger with a croquette in the middle!) The Night Safari is basically a zoo tour at night, with the best part being a tram ride past all of the animals. It really gives a different perspective, plus it feels as if there are no barriers between yourself and the animals. It's rated as one of the best attractions in Singapore, and I can see why (even if it was pouring with rain!)

We made it home at midnight, time for some sleep .....
Labels: edit post
2 Responses
  1. Leah Says:

    Sounds like a fun day Emma :) We went on the Night Safari back in 97 and were very impressed. We went back in the daytime too, and were amazed at the polar bear exhibit - they released a live fish at feeding time, which led to spectacular bear action but was pretty hard on the fish!


  2. Adam Pullen Says:

    hey you, would be rad if you could get that RSS thing below working or subscribe to your email list. Then i wouldn't miss day

    thanks


Post a Comment